Human Ecology is about the relationships between people and their
- In human ecology the environment is perceived as an ecosystem.
Urie Bronfenbrenner (1979-1886)
Ecological Systems Theory
- Child development involved interacting within a complex system of
relationships affected by multiple levels of the environment
- The environment is not a static force that uniformly affects
individuals – it is ever- changing. (RECALL THE STORY LOVE YOU
- The temporal dimension of this model is the chrono-system.
Infants – 0-18 months
Toddlers- 18 months – 36 months
Pre-schoolers- 3 years- 5 years
Middle childhood – 6-8 years
Adolescents – 8-12
Bronfenbrenner’s Ecological Systems Theory
- He is one of the most widely studied ecological theorists. He believed
that: a child’s biological disposition and environmental forces come
together to shape the child’s development.
- There are two environmental conditions necessary for human