PSY 121 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Positron Emission Tomography

177 views14 pages
4 Apr 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Psychotherapy: the treatment of mental disorder by psychological rather than medical means. The most common professional activity of clinical psychologists: psychoanalytic/psychodynamic, humanistic, behavioral, cognitive. Does psychotherapy work: most of the evidence offered comes in: a. i. Case studies: hans eysenck: published a historic study during the early period. b. i. After he reviewed some of the early empirical studied on psychotherapy he concluded that most clients got better without therapy and that in general psychotherapy as of little benefit. b. iii. Scientific methods were criticized and claims were overturned b. iv. Whom, when, and how should researchers ask: different people involved in therapy may have different positions on the results of the therapy, hans strupp: legendary and pioneering psychotherapy researcher, identified three parties, tripartite model (three parties) Clients" lives are affected by therapy and improving their lives are the focus of therapy. c. i. 1. b. Some patients are overeager to see results because they spend time and money, so they overestimate therapy"s benefits. c. i. 1. d.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers