Economics
Course
ECONOM 1051
Professor
George
Semester
Fall

Description
Chapter 13: Divergent Boundaries­ Origin and Evaluation of the Ocean Floor I. An emerging picture of the ocean floor: Techniques used A. Sonar­ Echo Sounder (sonar)­ sound navigation and ranging. From 1920s.  reflects sounds from ocean floor. B. side­scanning sonar­ sent out a fan of sound to either side of the ship’s  tracks; produces a photo image of the ocean floor but not depth  (bathymetry) C. multibeam sonar­ employs an array of sound sources and listening  devices; obtains a profile of a narrow strip of seafloor D. seismic reflection­ uses principles of seismology (seismic source of  energy) E. remote sensing (satellites) II. Mapping the Seafloor A. in the old days, depth was measured by lowering weighted lines overboard  (Challenger voyage) B. Three Major provinces of the ocean floor  1. continental margins a. passive continental margins i. Not associated with plate boundaries. Experience little  volcanism and few earthquakes ii. Continental shelf­ gently sloping, submerged surface  extending from shoreline toward deep ocean basin iii. Continental slope­ the true edge of the continent, which has  a steep slope that leads from the continental shelf into deep  water iv. Continental rise­ a gradual incline composed of sediments  that have moved downslope from the continental shelf to  the deep­ocean floor b. active continental margins i. bounded by plate boundary ii. continental slope descends abruptly into a deep ocean  trench iii. located primarily around the Pacific Ocean 2. deep­ocean basins­ i. deep ocean trench: Most are located in the Pacific Ocean. sites  of subduction. Associated with volcanic activit
More Less

Related notes for ECONOM 1051

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit