History
Course
HIST 1520
Professor
Okamura
Semester
Fall

Description
I. 8th - 7th c. Greeks: A. on “epic meter (based on dactylic hexameters, dactyl = “ finger (_vv vowels) 1. B. on western writing sets Mesopotamia > Semitic alphabets; Greek adoption: consonants, vowels, and diphthongs 2/20 Wednesday I. Trends in MEditerranean from 8th > 6th cent BCE (Axial age) A. 8th cent: Greeks establish overseas colonies (similar to Phoenicians (modern Lebanon) B. Trade over long distances of value-added products (e.g. ceramics, wines, cloth) C. Contacts among strangers > rethinking of traditions 1. “philosophia” love of knowledge for its own sake II. Materialist philosophers: Thales of Miletus (H2O) A. looked at astronomy to tell about the olives that the olive presses would be needed in spring, so gets a loan for presses, and rents them out when in demand III. South Italy. Form and number: Pythagoras: he Tetraktys A. as equilateral triangle B. as right triangle IV. Zeno of Elea 2/25 Monday I. continue Greek Philosophy of Nature II. Pythagoreans: A. Reality = form, and number, not material substance B. Compare Heraclitus 1. Curd, pp. 40-41 2. on the logos 3. note: word is related to legein, “to speak”, and words made up of letters, which also served as numbers a) e.g. A = number 1 C. Zeno of Elea 1. Curd pp 68-69, #7 Achilles paradox 2. Greek natural philosopher active in southern italy III. The Persian wars, the Persian point of view 3/4 Monday I. 5th c. novelty: rule from bottom-up: Demokratia: see dialogue among
More Less

Related notes for HIST 1520

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit