66 views3 pages
11 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Lindsay Alfermann
Assignment 5
Before this assignment, I had never heard of the movie “Big Night”. I was pleasantly
surprised to notice some familiar faces when I started the film. I have always enjoyed Stanley
Tucci’s performances and I also immediately recognized Marc Anthony (but I previously only
knew him to be a singer). I feel that having a good cast automatically improved my opinion of
the movie before it even started. Big Night tells the story of two brothers in New Jersey in the
1950’s who have put all of their hard work, hearts, and dreams into running their Italian
restaurant in America. In one of the opening scenes, Primo (who is the older brother and
masterchef) is very offended when a customer does not understand the customs of preparing and
eating a proper Italian meal. He says “I will not serve two starches together!” and even goes as
far to mock her American food preferences in saying, “Maybe I put mashed potatoes for the
other side!” Secondo is the younger brother who is more of a businessman and aware of the
restaurant’s failing operations. He realizes that with the lack of American acclamation to
traditional Italian food and the restaurant’s lack of income, he and his brother cannot afford to
keep it open much longer. Secondo goes to the bank to ask for more time or money to keep the
business open. The bank is also going under, though, and can do nothing to help the brothers.
Things seem hopeless for Secondo and his life is further complicated when he meets with his
girlfriend, Phyllis, and she wants to move forward in their relationship but he is adamant about
not wanting to do so. Later we learn that he has been having an affair with another woman who
happens to be the wife of Pascal, a man who runs the successful Italian restaurant across the
street. Ironically, Pascal is the only person who offers to lend help to Secondo and his brother.
He is friends with a famous singer that agrees to perform at Secondo’s restaurant. The brothers
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Before this assignment, i had never heard of the movie big night . I was pleasantly surprised to notice some familiar faces when i started the film. Tucci"s performances and i also immediately recognized marc anthony (but i previously only knew him to be a singer). I feel that having a good cast automatically improved my opinion of the movie before it even started. Big night tells the story of two brothers in new jersey in the. 1950"s who have put all of their hard work, hearts, and dreams into running their italian restaurant in america. In one of the opening scenes, primo (who is the older brother and masterchef) is very offended when a customer does not understand the customs of preparing and eating a proper italian meal. He realizes that with the lack of american acclamation to traditional italian food and the restaurant"s lack of income, he and his brother cannot afford to keep it open much longer.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers