POL_SC 1100 Lecture 15: Lincoln-Douglas Debate

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Missouri - Columbia
Political Science
POL_SC 1100
Stephen Seagrave

Lincoln-Douglas Debates • “The assertion that ‘all men are created equal’ was of no practical use in effecting our separation from Great Britain; and it was placed in the Declaration, not for that, but for future use.” – Lincoln, “Speech on Dred Scott Decision” o Talking about DOI and how “All men are created equal was intended to apply to the future” o Asserting himself as opposed to slavery. Doesn’t identify directly with abolitionist but makes it clear he’s opposed to slavery • Missouri Compromise (1820) o What is our stance of a nation going to be to expanding slavery in new territories • Compromise of 1850 • Kansas-Nebraska Act (1854) o Steven Douglas authored that opened up Kansas and Nebraska to popular sovereignty when choosing whether or no they want to be a slave state • Stephen Douglas’s Position o Popular Sovereignty ▪ “If the people of any other territory desire slavery, let them have it. If they do not want it, let them prohibit it. It is their business not mine” – Stephen Douglas ▪ States should have right to choose o States’ Rights ▪ Every state has a right to regulate its own institutions ▪ “This government was made upon the great basis of the sovereignty of the States, the right of each state to regulate its own domestic institutions to suit itself” – Stephen Douglas o Racial Inequality ▪ Emphasizes inequality between the races. He is a white supremacist thinks whites are superior ▪ “I hold that this government was established on the white basis. It was established by white men for the benefit of white men and their posterity
More Less

Related notes for POL_SC 1100

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.