POL_SC 1100 Lecture 17: Slavery and the Founding Revisited

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Missouri - Columbia
Political Science
POL_SC 1100
Stephen Seagrave

Slavery and the Founding Revisited • Slavery Compromises in Constitution o I.2 – 3/5 clause ▪ Slaves worth 3/5 s of a person when counting population o I.9 – slave trade clause ▪ o IV.2 – fugitive slave clause ▪ Judges would be paid more if they ruled in favor of slave being a fugitive slave rather than not ▪ Extremely rigged in favor of someone being accused of escaped slaves • “The fact that the church of our country… does not esteem the Fugitive Slave Law as a declaration of war against religious liberty, implies that that church regards religion simple as a form of worship, an empty ceremony, and not a vital principle, requiring active benevolence, justice, love and good will towards man. It esteems… psalm-singing above right doing…” – Fredrick Douglass “What to the Slave is the Fourth of July?” o Accusing churches and pastors in Northern states of not living up to what their preaching o He says fugitive slave law violates religious liberty because churches can’t help them, even though they might feel it’s their duty to help them • Is the constitution pro-slavery or anti-slavery? • How is the Constitution related to the declaration of Independence? o Both agree the declaration of Independence is against slavery o “By the infamous bargain which they made between themselves, they virtually dethroned the most high god, and trampled beneath their feet their own solemn and heaven attested Declaration, that all men are created equal, and endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights – among which are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” - Garrison ▪ Garrison believes that they shouldn’t have compromised in the constitution because it compromises the Declaration of Independence and it’s “All Men are Created Equal” o “I have said that the DOI is the ring-bolt to the chain of your nation’s destiny; so indeed, I regard it. The principles contained in that instrument are saving principles. Stand by those principles, be true to them on all occasions, in all places, against all foes, a
More Less

Related notes for POL_SC 1100

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.