POL_SC 1100 Lecture 13: The Puritans and Founders on Religious Freedom

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Missouri - Columbia
Political Science
POL_SC 1100
Stephen Seagrave

The Puritans and Founders on Religious Freedom • “For this end, we must be knit together, in this work, as one man.. We must be willing to abridge ourselves of our superfluities, for the supply of other’s necessities… We must delight in each other; make others’ conditions our own; rejoice together, mourn together, labor and suffer together, always having before our eyes our commission and community in the work as members of the same body” –Winthrop “A Model of Christian Charity” pg. 180-181 o We need to be willing to give to other from the extra stuff we have o Need to act as one and unify o Best way to appeal to people is to appeal to their religion • “For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill. The eyes of all people are upon us. So that if we shall deal falsely with our god in this work we have undertaken, and so cause him to withdraw his present help from us, we shall be made a story and a by –world throughout the world” - Winthrop o Winthrop and the others with him thought they were on a mission from god o Gods chosen people similarly to Israelites in Exodus o We will be an example to the world. If we fail we let god down and the rest of the world down. • “I assure you very explicitly, that in my opinion the conscientious scruples of all men should be treated with great delicacy and tenderness; and it is my wish and desire, that the laws may always be as extensively accommodated to them, as a due regard to the protection and essential interests of the nation may justify and permit” – Washington “Letter to Quakers” o We have to be careful when making laws that we pay attention to others religious beliefs so we don’t alienate certain religions o Qua
More Less

Related notes for POL_SC 1100

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.