Political Science
Course
POL_SC 1100
Professor
Horner
Semester
Fall

Description
Friday, October 12, 2012 • Democrats were more aggressive  • Ryan’s comment about John Kennedy  o Compared himself to John Kennedy  o BAD o Republican vice president comparing himself to a democratic president  o 1988 vice presidential debate • Mediator did a way better job Electoral College I. Pre­Party Design (Why We Have An Electoral College) a. To give power to the smaller states i. Federalism argument b. Takes the voting rights away from the people – created an indirect way i. Filter between the people and the decision making ii. The House was the only thing people had a direct vote for II. How the Electoral College Works a. Each state has the representatives (8 for Missouri) plus the senators (2) b. There should be a total of 535 electoral votes  i. However, the total number is 538 electoral vote 1. The extra three come from Washington D.C. c. The candidate with the most popular votes, wins the states electoral vote III. Electoral College in History a. House of Representatives i. When the electoral college was created, it was anticipated that the House would have to choose several presidencies  – HAMILTON THOUGHT THIS ii. To win the presidency, you have to have a majority of the electoral college (270 votes) iii. If no one gets the 270 votes, it goes to the House of Representatives, and the House chooses the winner from the top  three candidates  1. Each state gets one vote 2. Vice­presidential goes to the Senate – only two vice­presidential candidates 3. This would make it certain that we would get the president of highest value  iv. They though there
More Less

Related notes for POL_SC 1100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit