Political Science
Course
POL_SC 1100
Professor
Horner
Semester
Fall

Description
Judiciary  11/7/12 I. The American legal system • Adversarial system o Each side presents their evidence and the court decides which side is closer to the truth • Supposed to be a non­political system • Not meant to be a democratic institution  o Public opinion should NOT sway the courts  a. Levels of courts i. Court of Original Jurisdiction 1. Trial courts a. Where evidence is presented to a judge and/or a jury b. Where cases are decided ii. Appellate Court 1. Courts of appeal a. Cases are heard there b. Types of courts i. District courts 1. Courts of original jurisdiction 2. Trial courts 3. The country is divided into 94 districts ii. Circuit courts 1. Appellate courts 2. Middle layer 3. The country is divided into 13 circuits a. Missouri is in the 8  circuit iii. Supreme court 1. “Court of last appeal” 2. It does have some original jurisdiction  a. Ex: united states vs. brown 3. Has 9 justices c. Adversarial system d. Non-political system  II. General overview  a. Primary function i. To adjudicate 1. Meaning, they make decisions/decide cases  b. Primary objective i. To protect individual rights and liberty  1. They’re supposed to protect the minority from the majority opinion 2. To do so, judges cannot let personal biases get in the way of making judgments c. Questions about the courts answered by fed. Papers i. Why are judges appointed instead of elected? 1. They didn’t want judges to have to worry about winning an election 2. Judicial decisions are not supposed to be made by political identification 3. You’re appointed for life, you can NEVER be fired a. They hoped this would attract the best of the best i. It didn’t used to be as prestigious  4. The framers wanted the courts to be independent a. Because judiciary is the biggest branch in the government, but it doesn’t have any power to  enforce those decisions, so it has to rely on Congress and the President to enforce them  b. Hamilton thought they needed permanent tenure because they had the power of judicial review,  because they’d make Congress and the President angry if they shoot down a law i. Judicial Review – The power to declare laws invalid on the grounds that they contradict  the Constitution  ii. Why 9 justices on the Supreme Court? 1. The framers knew the supreme court would be important a. They knew they didn’t want all of the power to go to one person  b. They also knew they didn’t want a big group, like a legislature 2. Originally the Supreme Court had 6 justices a. Then to 7 b. Then to 9 c. Then to 10 d. 1869 back to 9 iii. Why does the court have judicial review? 1. It’s not in the Constitution, but Hamilton wrote about it in the Federalist Papers 2. Hamilton’s thoughts: a. Constitution is the highest law of the land i. No act of Congress of the President can be contrary to the Constitution  1. Because of that, we need a way to determine whether or not a law is  Constitutional III. Process in the supreme court a. How cases reach the court
More Less

Related notes for POL_SC 1100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit