Political Science
Course
POL_SC 1100
Professor
Horner
Semester
Fall

Description
Monday, September 24, 2012  Political Participation (cont.) Factors That Influence Participation 3. Civic Engagement a. How much do we interact with people? i. We interact with people less now than in the past 1. The less interaction, the less likely people are to vote b. Why did this happen? i. Ex: Television; people would stay home instead of go out in public c. Less civic engagement = less voter participation 4. Change in the Voting Age Policy  a. Younger people are less likely to vote than older people b. There are people who argue that this doesn’t make a difference or whether it matters or not Political Parties – Introduction Parties Defined Framers” Perspective on Parties • They did not like party  o They don’t mention parties in the constitution o They designed the system not to work well for parties o They were not built into the design of our system • It’s difficult for one party to sweep all positions in one single election • George Washington’s resignation speech  o Warning about the dangers of political parties   He was strong federalist • Madison talked about the dangers of political parties • The framers realized that some sort of political parties was going to be necessary because of the already existing  groups of people with conflicting ide
More Less

Related notes for POL_SC 1100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit