PSYCH 2310 Lecture Notes - Counterfactual Thinking, Illusory Correlation, Counterfactual Conditional

66 views2 pages
11 Mar 2014
School
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Illusory correlation: when you perceive a relationship between two variables when none actually exists, paired distinctiveness. Judgmental processes: framing, tendency to be influenced by the way an issue is presented, asking questions upon recommending a new medicine that has 90% success vs. Subjects much more likely to recommend the 90% success. Counter-factual thinking: the ability and process of imagining alternative versions to past events, study on olympians that won silver and bronze and who was happier (bronze, components of, contain antecedent ( if only , what if , contain consequent ( then ) 2 types of counter-factuals: upward: alternatives better than reality. Serve preparative function: downward: alternatives worse than reality. I got a 70 but at least i didn"t fail. I stepped in dog shit but at least i had shoes on: future relevance for upward, controllability for downward. Therapist listen to interview of person and told either the subject was a job candidate or a psychiatric testing.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers