PSYCH 2410 (33)
van Marle (33)

February 13.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Missouri - Columbia
PSYCH 2410
van Marle

The A-not-B error Research shows that failure on A-not-B task is not so straight forward… Task Difficulty: • Delay (Diamond, 1985) o Fragility of motor plan (Diamond, 1985) • Reaching/Pointing vs. Looking: o Often self-correct o Reach to wrong side, but look to correct side According to Diamond the A-not-B error is result of immature frontal cortex 1. Frontal lobe patients a. Easily distracted, difficulty staying on task b. Trouble inhibiting rewarded motor responses i. Wisconsin Card Sorting Task 2. Monkeys with lesions in frontal cortex a. Make the A-not-B error Information Processing Theories Children undergo continuous change Describe how cognitive change occurs Computer Analogy • Hardware: memory, processing speed • Software: knowledge, strategies View child as a problem-solver • Pulling string to get toy, learn to open fridge to get milk • Task analysis o Goal –> obstacle –> strategy o Planning 1. Lack of inhibition • Distractibility 2. Young kids are overoptimistic • “I can beat you in a race” Analogical Reasoning • In Infants (when solving the pull-cloth-to-get-toy problem) o At 10
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 2410

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.