PSYC 423 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Wilder Penfield, Sleep Deprivation, Memory Consolidation

23 views6 pages
29 Aug 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

1. 2 the need for timely waking, sleep, and dreaming. Sleep and dreaming enable memory consolidation, converting new and unstable memories into lasting memories. Sleep deprived individuals show microsleeps which can be describe as moments of dropping off. Chronic sleep deprivation: sleep that is stressful and degrades normal conscious functioning. Deep sleep is the least conscious states of the normal daily cycle, as measured by behavioral arousability. Pyramidal cells are excitatory, using glutamate as their major neurotransmitter. Intracranial eeg (ieeg): a. i) has now emerged as a major source of scientific evidence. a. ii) ieeg goes back to the pioneer neurosurgeon wilder penfield. a. iii) human ieeg is performed only in medically justified circumstances. Waking tasks a. i) use theta, alpha, beta, and gamma synchrony. a. ii) Covers a range of frequencies from 4 to 200hz or sometimes higher. 1. 4 states of consciousness have characteristic thalamocortical activity. Thalamocortical loop a. i) is thought of as a fundamental rhythmic pump in the brain. a. ii)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers