English
Course
ENGL 40761
Professor
Fredman Stephen
Semester
Spring

Description
1-31-17 American Culture as Collage Notes Recapping the Poetry Reading: Claudia Rankine and Solmaz Sharif • Understanding their works as collage: taking old ideas and language and putting them in a new frame, allowing them to make new statements • The difference in experience between reading the poems on the page and listening to them: the effect of her calm voice and countenance combined with the powerful words • Think about her in connection to Laurie Anderson (who we’ll look at later in the semester) • ‘Double Consciousness’ → WEB DuBois, in Souls of Black Folk. o When you’re in a minority group, you’re always occupying two positions at the same time: your own experience and the experience of the majority group (in order to function within the culture) o Will be relevant when we talk about Langston Hughes Henry David Thoreau, Walden • 1817-1862 (died at age 45); Walden published in 1854 • He went to Walden Pond for two years (1845-1847) even though this is presented artistically in the book as being one year. • A book about nature, not a book about wilderness→ Walden Pond was not actually that far removed from civilization. Not a hermit. • What is the genre of this book? o Part memoir, part self-help o Philosophy o Intellectual autobiography o Journal o Similar pieces to the political satire in Gulliver’s Travels o At the time of its publication: seen as sheer escapism • Made connections to: Hesiod / Works & Days and J. B. Jackson • The American idea of having a garden / yard stems in part from Thoreau • Thoreau explaining how to be a writer: Is that the whole point of Walden? o Stanley Cavell / Senses of Walden: he very carefully reads all of Walden as a manual on how to be a writer • Panharmonicon that the true orator / lecturer is able to create: Thoreau lectured like Emerson did • Lyceum, Chautauqua: where Thoreau lectured • Significance of the “I” / first person: Thoreau thinks there’s a reason he should talk about himself, the only experiences that he has an intimate knowledge of o Anything you tell me that you have not experienced for yourself, I take as hearsay! o Central epistemological question in this book: what can I know, how can I know it, what can I trust as being real and true? o Travel writing was the most popular form of writing at this time: Thoreau thinks that every personal writing is travel writing because it will take you to a different land; understanding the “people of New England” as if from the outside. Maybe traveling in Concord
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 40761

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit