Bob Dylan (1)
“Subterranean Homesick Blues”
- First “lyric video.”
- History of music videos includes incorporation of visual, audio, lingual and temporal
- Prior to lyric video -- silent films, editing/cuts, inter-titles (convey elements of plot).
o Cab Calloway, Fleischer brothers – first music video; animation, rotoscoping
- Bob Dylan – first lyric video (“star power”).
- Karaoke and MTV (1980’s).
- Youtube – plethora of unofficial music videos (contemporary).
- Bruce Conner – “Breakaway” (1963) – music video with Toni Basil.
- “Concert videos” – contemporary pop artists; incorporate artist identity with music.
Summer of Love (1967)
- Exhibition – San Francisco.
- Bruce Conner; Wes Wilson; Paul Foster art.
- “Acid Test.”
- Psychedelic drug imitation.
- Designers integrated patterns from different countries into clothing.
- Poster Display; process of poster printing.
Dylan and Folk Culture
- Basement tapes (1967) – creation prompted by motorcycle accident that ended a
- “Big Pink” (House in Woodstock, NY) – folk music; not intended to be published;
inspired by American Anthology of Folk Music.
- Beginning of “bootleg industry.”
- Unfinished tapes from summer recently released to group of artists to be finished;
“Lost on the River” – communal, but individual (appealing).