Literature
Course
LIT 20600
Professor
Alunsina
Semester
Fall

Description
Ch 9. COGNITIVE BEHAVIOR THERAPY I must perform important tasks competently and perfectly. Overview If I dont get what I want, its terrible, and I cant stand it. Stresses thinking, judging, deciding, analyzing, and doing Cognitions, emotions, and behaviors interact in a reciprocal ABC Interactivity causeandeffect relationship In reality its more complex A>B>C Highly didactic and directive, and concerned as much with Dogmatic beliefs may cause overly negative perception of events thinking as with feeling Feelings at C (e.g., depression) may cause overly negative Emotions stem mainly from our beliefs, evaluations, evaluation of A or B (or both) interpretations, and reactions to life situations Three Basic Musts Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy Demands about self People have potential for rational and irrational thinking I must be approved, do well, or its awful Biological tendency to think crookedly and to needlessly disturb Leads anxiety, depression, shame, guilt ourselves Demands about others Humans are selftalking, selfevaluating, selfsustaining You must treat me well, just, or its awful We develop emotional and behavioral problems when we Leads to anger, rage, passiveaggressiveness, acts of violence Demands about the worldlife conditions mistake simple preferences (love, approval, success) for dire needs Conditions must be exactly as I want them, or... We learn and invent disturbing beliefs (selfindoctrination) and Leads to selfpity, hurt, problems of selfdiscipline (procrastination, addictive behaviors, etc.) keep ourselves disturbed through our selftalk and self fulfilling prophecies We have the capacity to change our cognitive, emotive, and Human Disturbances Ego Disturbances behavioral processes Stem from demands we place on selves View of Emotional Disturbance Resolved by building unconditional selfacceptance Discomfort Disturbances We learn irrational beliefs from significant other during childhood Stem from demands that comfort and comfortable life Teach clients to feel undepressed even when they are conditions must exist Resolved by building greater frustration tolerance unaccepted and unloved by significant others. Blame is at the core of most ED Not entirely discrete categoriesoverlap occurs Irrational idea (e.g. I must be loved by everyone) internalize D is Disrupting selfdefeating We have a tendency to make ourselves emotionally disturebed Detecting irrational beliefs by internalizing selfdefeating beliefs Identifying shoulds, musts, awfulizing, and depreciating statements and beliefs Essentials of REBT Practice Debating dysfunctional beliefs Activating Event Belief Consequence Emotional or Behavioral Focus on Logic Focus on Empiricism Disputing Effective Philosophy New Feeling Focus on Pragmatism A is for activating event Discriminate Irrational and Rational Beliefs Cognitive restructuring A = Activating Event Internal or External to the individual Feelings at C may serve as a new A Other Methods in REBT Doing cognitive homework B = Beliefs Evaluative cognitions Changing ones language Constructed views of the world Using humor Rational or Irrational Rational emotive imagery C = Emotional, Behavioral, Cognitive consequences of belief about Role playing activating event Shameattacking exercises Use of force vigor B is tricky Desensitization Irrational beliefs lead to unhealthy negative emotions Skills training Psychic pain and discomfort Assertiveness training Motivate selfdefeating behaviors Prevents behavior necessary to achieve goals Therapeutic Goals Lead to dysfunctional thinking A basic goal is to teach clients how to change their dysfunctional Rational beliefs about difficultdisappointing situations lead to emotions and behaviors into health ones. healthy negative emotions Two main goals of REBT are to assist clients to achieving unconditional self acceptance and unconditional other acceptance. Irrational Beliefs Irrational ideas lead to selfdefeating behavior As clients become more able to accept themselves, they are Some examples: more likely to unconditionally accept others. I must have love or approval from all the significant people in my life.
More Less

Related notes for LIT 20600

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit