PHIL10101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Intellectual Virtue, Eudaimonia, Trait Theory

32 views2 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Aristotle: how to live well: virtues. Develop muscle memory by learning from experts. Personality trait that falls between extremes and is necessary for. Intellectual virtues (habits of action and thinking: courage, curiosity, empathetic reasoning, intellectual humbleness. For every virtue, there are 2 vices. Is it good to be skeptical: descartes explains that he wants to conquer his habits. Getting out of the skeptical is achieved by the need to have some beliefs. Dreaming (descartes): there are no reliable signs to tell the difference from dreaming or being awake, the senses are unreliable or biased. Assumptions: if i know something, it is because my senses have not deceived me, when i sleep, my senses deceive me, i can"t know whether i am awake or asleep, i can"t know anything. To make a stronger argument, the 1st premise needs to be changed to if i know something i know my senses have not deceived me.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers