ESCI 401 Lecture Notes - Lecture 32: Igneous Differentiation, Continental Crust, Oceanic Crust

56 views2 pages

Document Summary

Moon rock ages are all greater than about 3 billion years. The oldest age of oceanic crust is about 200 million years old. Index fossils and changes in index fossils. Older surfaces have more craters than younger surfaces. Older surfaces have larger craters than younger surfaces. Example: sierra nevada mountains, accretion ii. iii. iv. i. ii. iii. Process of adding crustal material that has previously differentiated from the mantle onto existing continental crust through horizontal transport: horizontal transport can be from, subduction, transform faults. Plate motion pushes fragments of buoyant crust horizontally and causes them to attach to the edge of continents. Example: accreted terrain , san andres fault, describe the wilson cycle. what are its four main phases, wilson cycle: Sequence of continental tectonic events that occur during the assembly and breakup of supercontinents and the opening and closing of ocean basins: four main steps of wilson cycle: i. i. ii. iii. iv. v. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers