BIOL 1121 Lecture Notes - Lecture 35: Interleukin, Cytolysis, Apoptosis

40 views5 pages

Document Summary

Karina da rosa: lymphatic system, leukocytes (white blood cells) i. Overview: essential to both nonspecific and specific defenses, wbc granulocytes, neutrophils i. ii. iii. Create a killing zone: degranulation, lysosome and specific granules discharge enzymes and chemicals into the tissue fluid iv. Nadph oxidase: released from neutrophil granule, creates reactive oxygen species, superoxide anions and hydrogen peroxide v. Respiratory burst: toxic chemicals form a killing zone around the neutrophil : kill more bacteria than are destroyed by phagocytosis, eosinophils i. ii. iii. iv. v. Found in the mucous membranes of the respiratory, digestive and urinary tracts. Increase in response to and guard against parasites, allergens and other pathogens. Produce superoxide, hydrogen peroxide, enzymes and toxic proteins to kill foreign worms. Secrete enzymes that limit excessive action of histamine (inflammatory chemical: basophils i. ii. iii. Increase action of getting wbc"s to an infection site. Heparin: anticoagulant, prevents immobilization of phagocytes, assists with controlled selective anti-clotting, mast cells.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers