BIOL 1121 Lecture 35: 13. Respiratory Cycle 3

49 views3 pages

Document Summary

Karina da rosa: respiratory system (con"t, factors that affect o 2 unloading i. ii. iii. Haldane effect: low levels of deoxyhemoglobin (hbo 2 ) enables blood to transport more carbon dioxide, hbo 2 binds co 2 better than hbco 2, neutral control of breathing i. ii. iii. Skeletal muscles of ventilation cannot contract without nerve stimulation. Lungs do not have autorhythmic pacemaker (pacemaker is in the brain) Involuntary and unconscious: medulla oblongata and pons, respiratory control centers i. Vrg : ventral respiratory group: location of the pacemaker, generates the primary rhythm of breathing, nucleus in the medulla, rhythm-generating b. Integrating center: receives input from higher brain centers, respiratory center in pons and internal sense receptors, transmits output to the inspiratory spinal motor neurons and to the vrg neurons iii. Prg : pontine respiratory group: modifies the rhythm of the vrg (inspiration to expiration, receives input from the higher brain centers, transmits output to the drg, sensory communication to drg i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers