BIOL 1121 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Neisseria, Ceftriaxone, Diplococcus

38 views3 pages

Document Summary

Karina da rosa: cell wall and external bacterial structures, bacterial cell wall i. Overview: rigid preventative structure that withstands turgor pressure, allows unequal balances of water on either side of the cell wall ii. Structure: peptidoglycan, found only in bacteria, subunits of glucose molecules, peptide chain, string of amino acids, links glycan chains iii. Gram positive vs gram negative: positive, thick peptidoglycan layer, glycan chains connected by peptides, negative, thin peptidoglycan layers, less peptidoglycan chains iv. Outer membrane: lipid bilayer, lipopolysaccharide : endotoxin, outside of the peptidoglycan layer, signals the immune system of invasion by gn bacteria a, periplasmic space, periplasm is filled with proteins, exported proteins accumulate, antibacterial substances i. Lysozyme: breaks bonds between sugars, destroys structure of peptidoglycan molecules, found in saliva and tears, eyes and mouth are sterile areas, washing out bacteria ii. Distinct and gelatinous: slime layers i. ii. Involved in motility i: whip like structures that move the cell iii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers