BIOL 1121 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Inclusion Bodies, Lipopolysaccharide, Antibiotics

39 views4 pages

Document Summary

Identification of microorganisms: principles of taxonomy i. Overview: the science that studies organisms to divide them into specific. Phylogeny: evolutionary relatedness, divided into a three-domain system i. ii. iii. Hierarchies: species, group of morphologically similar organisms capable of producing fertile offspring, group of closely related isolates or strains, manual of systematic bacteriology, describes all known species, classifies organisms according to genetic relatedness, classifying prokaryotes i. ii. Historically based on phenotypic traits: size, shape, staining and metabolic capabilities. Recent techniques are more accurate: evolutionary chronometers, provides relative measure of time elapsed since divergence from a common ancestor, mutations accumulate over time, dna sequencing allows the construction of the phylogenetic tree iii. Genotypic characteristics: nucleic acid amplification tests (naat"s, differences in dna sequences can be used to determine the point in time at which two organisms diverged from a common ancestor, assigning names i. ii. According to the international code of nomenclature of bacteria. Genus, species: both italicized with genus capitalized, ex.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers