Chemistry & Chemical Biology
Course
CHEM 1211
Professor
Toher
Semester
Fall

Description
Introduction to Chemistry Part I Chemistry: the science that studies matter, energy, changes that accompany chemical and physical change Matter: refers to the “stuff” of which the universe is comprised, any entity with both mass and volume Mass: measures quantity or amount of matter Mass is measured by an instrument called an analytical balance Weight is proportion to mass, but is affected by GRAVITY Weight: the earth’s gravitational force on an object  F = mass * acceleration W = mg Force has units of kg m/s^2 (Newtons) Volume: measures the space an object occupies Sphere  V = 4/3 (pi)r^3 Volume of liquids can be determined by displacement Density: the amount of mass per unit volume d = m/v  usually units of g/mL or g/cm^3 (gas is g/L) Density varies with temperature  less temperature = more dense; inversely proportional to each other (e.g. water is most dense at 4 degrees Celsius) Both liquids and solids will expand on heating Categories of Matter Matter is comprised of pure substances and mixtures Pure substance: a material with a fixed composition (divided into two subcategories) Element: a pure substance comprised of only one type of atom Atom: a single, representative particle of an element, both comprises and is unique to a particular element Compounds: a pure substance comprised of two or more different elements, which ar
More Less

Related notes for CHEM 1211

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit