HSCI 1105 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Keto Acid, Electron Transport Chain, Catabolism

39 views2 pages

Document Summary

Nutrition: metabolism, cells use metabolic reactions to extract energy from food to form building blocks for biosynthesis, all chemical reactions within organisms that enable them to make life, chemical energy i. Energy contained in the bonds between atoms of a molecule: photosynthesis i. Process where plants use energy from the sun to convert it into food: transfer of food energy to cell energy i. Rather than combustion, we transfer energy to a form cells can use: atp : body s energy currency i. ii. Production of atp is the goal of metabolisms energy. Atp can power biological activities : motion, transport, biosynthesis: nadh and fadh2 i. ii. Important source of building blocks for biosynthesis for amino acids: electron transport chain, when oxygen is present i. One glucose produces 30-32 atp: when oxygen is absent i. One glucose produces 2 atp: energy from fat (most atp) i. ii. Beta oxidation disassembles the fatty acid and converts it into acetyl coa.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers