Globalization and International Affairs
Globalizing Catholicism -- "Universal Church"
- Catholicism came before the modern world, and will probably outlast it
- Globalization is giving Catholicism the opportunity to expand
- The best way for that papacy to "protect the freedom of the Church worldwide would...[be]to proclaim urbi et
orbi, the sacred right of each and every person to freedom of religion" and to publicly remind governments of
o Finally, the papacy can get rid of postmedieval territorial sovereignty that prevented it from growing...
the free global society we are seeing today is what the papacy and national churches need to grow!
- 3 conditions for the pope's voice to have effect
o If the voice can cross state boundaries (be heard by all)
o If the papacy can use transnational resources (like local churches) to be heard louder
o If the pope's voice can add to the already existing voices of people everywhere -- until state walls are
- Funny... diplomatic power of the papacy has increased