Music
Course
MUSC 1101
Professor
Loughridge
Semester
Spring

Description
Choosing the event to obtain music for in my life was a difficult decision. After brainstorming, I came up with the most annoying moment in my life. This is often a moment that I tend to forget, which ends up affecting me in the long run: knowing when my battery for my Mac is fully charged, or almost dead, and remembering to plugunplug it. Its an important aspect in my life being that my Mac is literally my lifeline for college. Forgetting that it is almost dead and then charging it before I attend class is one of my most dreadful mistakes. So, I experimented with multiple aspects of musical elements and came up with three (one for it dying, and one for it being charged for each of the three) musical earcons for this moment of my choosing. I should also clarify that there is a space in between each sound piece because one part of the sound is the laptop when it is becoming fully charged and the other is when it is about to die; it is two sounds in each sound piece). This moment was a good one to choose to the ability to change the tone of the music for dying and revival. The contrast was both hard, and entertaining to develop. There were many musical and creative decisions that I had to make to make this musicalized moment work. Although I am not well educated in music and its disciplines, I researched moods developed through certain tones and pitches, melodies, repetition and familiarity, as well as others. Familiarity is shown in musical creation number two, where clips of my favorite childhood videogame were taken and edited. The video game is gauntlet, and the song has both upbeat and creepy and down melodies that are also quite catchy. For my dying sound I chose a dissonant repetitive part that makes you feel like you want to just turn it off. My goal for this part was as my laptop is dying and this clip plays it will make me want to plug it in, and thus not forget to charge it. It brings about negative feelings towards your laptop dying and increases the want to plug it in to make it stop. This hold true also for my dissonant sound in my first musical creation where I mixed unpleasant sounds from different instruments together to form one big dissonant instrumentation piece. They feel connected, but also feel disconnected in that fact that it hurts your ears in the way that they dont fully fit together. I also made this longer to see the effect that it has on people, and the longer it is, the more dislike is found among the person listening. The music is also in a deeper and more melancholy tone. For the gauntlet themed sounds, the other more positive clip of sound was the catchiest part of the song. Its very repetitive, thus why I chose to narrow it down a bit, but it brings about a more positive and upbeat vibe, while still having a familiar catchy tune to sing along with. The pitch is still eerie though to remind you although your laptop is fully charged you still must unplug it. The first musical creations counterpart required a lot of trial in error in making various instruments and sounds fit together. I ended up with four distinct sounds with similar pitches and melodies, including a background beat, to show upbeat positive sounds for the charged aspect of my moment. I also played around with volume fading and learned that it was not a good idea due to the misconception that the fading means that it is ending and you have to do nothing now, as opposed to a dissonant sound with a constant volume reminding you to plug it in. For the third musical creation I played with ascending and descending clips of sounds. I figured that the descending would fit with the battery dying more than the opposite, and I was correct in that it did fit more. When the sound was too short the effect was not present, thus I increased the length and it was deemed to be more effective by my peers. It was also quick and to the point as is a text message sound or email sound for the iPhone. I repeated (looped) for this one as well.
More Less

Related notes for MUSC 1101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit