PHIL 1165 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Controlled Ovarian Hyperstimulation, In Vitro Fertilisation, Human Genome Project

24 views2 pages

Document Summary

In vitro fertilization: history of human genetic and reproductive technologies. 1988 : launch of the human genome project. 1991 : first somatic gene transfer experiments begun i. ii. iii. iv. In vitro fertilization d. i. ii. iii. iv. v. vi. Pregnancy test: ethical and religious directives - the natural law position i. ii. iii. iv. v. Goes against the connection willed by god between the two meanings of the conjugal act : unitive and procreative meaning: goes against marriage, unity of spouses, and dignity. The only way a child can be conceived in through sexual intercourse. Necessary technology to address infertility, but just because it is technically available does not mean it is morally right. Hormonal supplements that may cause the development of more than one embryo - permissible under double effect (no deliberate destruction) Preference over counseling and adoption rather than technological help: foci of tollefson"s argument i. Supports in vitro fertilization : not intrinsically wrong.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers