PHIL 1165 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Fly-Killing Device, Dna Extraction, Brca1

30 views4 pages

Document Summary

Moral and social problems in healthcare: ethical issues in genomic research as intellectual property a. 1970"s : dna was the most complex molecule to analyze. Currently : dna is the easiest molecule to analyze. Human genome project: producing 1000 nucleotides/day, enormous impact on biology : only know about 50, human genome project i. 1: create drugs based on molecular information, microbial genomics, rapidly detect and treat pathogens in clinical practice, protect citizenry from biological and chemical warfare, gene patents i. ii. Isolated dna - are the ones being studied the same as the ones that occur naturally in the body: assessments for molecular pathology vs myriad. Declaratory judgement case i: myriad claimed and prevented other facilities to use a test they discovered and went on to patents. Court deemed the myriad patents invalid iii: granted the product was naturally occurring, patenting and copyrighting genes is ethical i. Sung: relatively recent in historical terms, addressed in the constitution.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers