Fall 2016

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 1180
Professor
Ronald Sandler
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Lecture 33 — Non-Identity Problem
Paper 5:
Selecting topic
directly related to course
must be philosophical claim
not predictive, prescriptive, or explanatory claim
- talk to him about the claim before you write
value, normative, or theoretical issue and must be contested.
Review:
Ethical Dimensions of Climate Change
all issues are compromised by GCC
a lot of social issues are related to GCC
Perfect storm Idea
longitudinal collective action problem
need a lot of people over time
hard when there is no gov’t authorities
countries all have dierent interests
developing countries vs developed countries
Future Generations
to what extent should we take into account the interest of the future generations in
our decisions
discount issue
count the future less than the present.
inflation (inc quality of life in ethics)
if they are better o in the future, it makes no sense to do stu for the
future now.
Swamping problem
there is so many more of them that we have to take into account
Unknown needs problem
how do we even know what they are going to need in the future given
the rate of technological change.
technology changes faster and faster over time — it is hard for us to
predict what people need in 50-100 years.
non-identity problem
Non identity problem — conceptual problem
future people do not exist

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 33 — Non-Identity Problem Paper 5: Selecting topic directly related to course must be philosophical claim not predictive, prescriptive, or explanatory claim - talk to him about the claim before you write value, normative, or theoretical issue and must be contested. Review: Ethical Dimensions of Climate Change all issues are compromised by GCC a lot of social issues are related to GCC Perfect storm Idea longitudinal collective action problem need a lot of people over time hard when there is no gov’t authorities countries all have different interests developing countries vs developed countries Future Generations to what extent should we take into account the interest of the future generations in our decisions discount issue count the future less than the present. inflation (inc quality of life in ethics) if they are better off in the future, it makes no sense to do stuff for the future now. Swamping problem there is so many more of them that we have to take into account Unknown needs problem how do we even know what they are going to need in the future given the rate of technological change. technology changes faster and faster over time — it is hard for us to predict what people need in 50-100 years. non-identity problem Non identity problem — conceptual problem future people do not exist it is undetermined which future people will be it all depends on which sperms meet which eggs. changing policies will change which people meet which people and leads to different sperms meeting different eggs. problem did we harm anybody? did we make anyone worse off? — no, they just would have not existed if we just keep doing what were doing we will be FP1 future people are non-existant and contingent we can just determine which future people will exist just have to make sure that things aren’t so bad that people would rather not exist. It is bad aggregate wellbeing it would be better to have a large population with low wellbeing Average wellbeing a better world is where there is a small amount of people li
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit