Premium

3 Pages

Department
Philosophy
Course Code
PHIL 1180
Professor
Ronald Sandler

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 35 — The Anthropocene News and Events: UCSC researchers — rise in mosquito population due to urbanization and no more use of DDT habitat destruction increases mosquito population Energy Transfer Partners are still going through with the pipeline and ignore the federal agencies statement they are going to build it anyway without rerouting it they are willing to pay the fine to do it how much will it cost? the corporation is liable, not the people in the corporation kind of like protection for the people. Wind turbine syndrome has psychological effects on people — causes depression Review: Ethics of mitigation (mitigation is ethically preferable to adaptation and compensation) Evaluating mitigation you have to think about what has to occur in the world for that to be accomplished just bc it is a way to mitigate doesn't mean it is good. nuclear — when you triple nuclear you triple nuclear waste biofuels — what are the ecological costs? clearing space, displacing food. win-win strategies are more cultural strategies than technological strategies (behavioral). behavioral can also be bad registry of everyone so they can only travel leisurely 2 times a year. win-win strategies can be technological too how do they impact peoples choices and autonomy? are they short term or long term? The “Anthropocene" 2 things a term human + age Informal use — has become enormously popular. used to refer to high levels of human impacts on the environment that are pervasive and long lasting. short hand for referring to large scale human impacts on the environment. Formal use — Scientific term. Being explored by geological scientist. whether or not we have entered a new geological period of the earths history. period defined by human impacts on the environment. Should we use this term? it is a useful term — short hand for large scale human impacts makes it clear how large the impacts are it is a problematic term 1. humans are not the whole story (there are other things going on— robust natural processes) — overstates the extent of our impact and control
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit