ASLS 661 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Tongue, Vocal Tract, Tenseness

155 views9 pages

Document Summary

Learning outcomes: compare and contrast phonetics and phonology, discriminate among phonological theories. Articulation and speech sounds: phonology and phonemes: phonetics is the study of physical, physiological, and acoustic variables associated with speech production. This includes the description and classification of speech sounds (i. e. , production, transmission and perceptual features). Slp use phonetics to analyze speech sounds produced correctly and in error. A phoneme or group of sounds, each with subtle variations. Phonemes are written within virgules or slashes i i. To use /k/ and /t/ as an example, if /k/ replaced /t/ in the word tea , we would end up with the new word key. They represent the way we actually pronounce words, not the way we represent words in our mental lexicons (phonemes). An allophone is a member of a particular phoneme family, not a separate, distinct phoneme; allophones are written within square brackets []. Clinical exercise: say the word leap and then the word.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers