CM-UY 1004 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Pauli Exclusion Principle, Principal Quantum Number, Atomic Orbital

31 views6 pages
25 Aug 2016
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Bohr"s model, assumed electrons move in circular orbits a. i. A charged particle should lose energy and spiral into positively charged nucleus: three postulates b. i. Only orbits of certain radii corresponding to certain specific energies are permitted for the electron in a hydrogen atom b. ii. An electron in a permitted orbit is in an allowed energy state. An electron in an allowed energy state does not radiate energy and does not spiral into the nucleus b. iii. Energy is emitted or absorbed by the electron only as the electron changes from one allowed energy state to another. This energy is emitted or absorbed as a photon that has energy. Impossible for us to know the momentum of the electrum and its exact location in space: x, the uncertainty in position and (mv), uncertainty in momentum c. i. As n increases, the orbital becomes larger and the electron spends more time further from the nucleus d. i. 2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers