Class Notes (808,146)
United States (312,929)
Classics (1)

11 Pages
Unlock Document

New York University
John Zapperman

AP European History Review Sheet Terms to Review for exam (textbook section designations are in italics) Spielvogel, Western Civilization since 1300,'rth edition Chapter 11:The Late Middle Ages: Crisis and Disintegration in the Fourteenth Century War and Political Instability Hundred Years War. Battle of Crecy Battle of Agincourt Joan ofArc Esta tes-General Holy Roman Empire condottieri city-states The Decline of the Church Pope Boniface VIII and King Phillip IV of France Unam Sanctum (Papal Bull) benefice The Great Schism of 1377 conciliarism Council of Constance 1414-1418 purgatory pilgrimages Mysticism and Lay Piety Meister Eckhart "Modem Devotion" Catherine of Siena William of Occam The Cultural World of the Fourteenth Century Vernacular Literature Dante's Divine Comedy Giovanni Boccaccio's Decameron Chaucer's Canterbury Tales Christine de Pizan's Book of the City of Ladies Chapter 12 Recovery and Rebirth: The Age of the Renaissance Meaning and Characteristics of Italian Renaissance Jacob Burckhardt The Civilization of Italy in the Renaissance Social Changes in the Renaissance Book of the Courtier, Baldessare Castilglione Leon BattistaAlberti On the Family The Italian States in the Renaissance Lorenzo di Medici (the Magnificent) Isabella d'Este Machiavelli The Prince Cesare Borgia Tile Intellectual Renaissance in Italy Petrarch Ascent of Mount Ventoux Leonardo Bruni 'civic' humanism Lorenzo Valla The Elegances of the Latin Language Donation of Constantine Marsilio Ficino Hermeticism Pico della Mirandola Oration on the Dignity of Man Johannes Gutenberg RenaissanceArtists 1377-1446: Brunelleschi, architect - interior of San Lorenzo 1386-1466: Donatello, scupltorDavid 71390-1441: [an van Eyck Giovanni Arnolfini and his Bride 1401-1428: Masaccio frescoes in Brancacci Chapel 1445-1510 Botticelli, Primavera, Birth of Venus 1452-1519: Leonardo da Vinci The Last Supper, Mona Lisa 1471-1528:Albrecht Durer, Adoration of the Magi 1475-1564: Michelangelo, David, ceiling of Sistine Chapel 1483-1520: Raphael, School of Athens The European State in the Renaissance. 'new monarchies' Louis XI Wars of the Roses Henry VII Court of Star Chamber Isabella of Castile and Ferdinand ofAragon Habsburgs Ottoman Turks and fall of Constantinople (1453) The Church in the Renaissance John Hus Renaiassance Papacy Pope Julius II PopeAlexander VI Pope Leo X Chapter 13 Prelude to Reformation: The Northern Renaissance Christian humanism Desiderius Erasmus, The Praise of Folly; Handbook of a Christian Knight Thomas More, Utopia Prelude to Reformation: Church and Religion on the Eve of the Reformation absenteeism and pluralism indulgences Thomas a Kempis, The Imitation of Christ Martin Luther and the Reformation in Germany Martin Luther (1483-1546) justification by faith Johann T etzel Ninety-Five Theses "Here I stand, I cannot do otherwise." Charles V (Emperor of the HRE 1519-1556) ~, ) Peasants' War priesthood of all believers Germany and the Reformation: Religion and Politics Suleiman the Magnificent Peace ofAugsburg 1555 The Spread of the Protestant Reformation Ulrich Zwingli The Marburg Colloquy Anabaptists Henry VITI Mary Tudor John Calvin predestination The Catholic Reformation Ignatius Loyola Society of Jesus Council of Trent Chapter 14Discovery and Crisis in the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries Age of Discovery and Expansion Hernan Cortes Bartolome de Las Casas Politics and Wars of Religion in the Sixteenth Century France Huguenots Henri IV St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre Edict of Nantes Spain Phillip II SpanishArmada, the Enterprise of England England Elizabeth Tudor (Elizabeth I) Mary, Queen of Scots Elizabeth's 1601 "Golden Speech" Seventeenth-Century Crises: War and Rebellions:The Thirty Years War 1618-1648 defenestration of Prague, 1618 Jakob von Grimmelshausen on The Face of War (Simplicissimus) Gustavus Adolphus "military revolution" The Witchcraft Craze "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." Suzanne Gaudry The Hammer of Witches Mannerism and the Baroque El Greco, Laocoon Peter Paul Rubens, Landing of Marie de Medici at Marseilles William Shakespeare Miguel de Cervantes, Don Quizote Chapter 15Response to Crisis: State Building and the Search for Order in the 17th Century The Theory of Absolutism Jean Bodin Bishop Bossuet Absolutism in Western Europe: France Louis XIII (1610-1643) Cardinal Richelieu Cardinal Mazarin the Fronde Edict of Fontainebleau mercantilism Jean Baptiste Colbert Absolutism in Central, Eastern and Northern Europe The German States Brandenburg-Prussia Hohenzollern family Frederick William the Great Elector (1640-1688) Junkers Emergence of Austria Leopold I (1658-1705) Treaty of Karlowitz Peter the Great and Russia serfdom Old Believers Table of Ranks Holy Synod "open a window to the west" Great Northern War St. Petersburg The Ottoman Empire Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent 1520-66 Constantinople Janissaries Limited Monarchy and Republics The United Provinces William III of Orange Exchange Bank of Amsterdam Constitutional Monarchy in England Stuart Monarchy: James I (1603-1625); Charles 1(1625-1649) Henrietta Maria Ship money Long Parliament English Civil War Oliver Cromwell Rump Parliament Execution of Charles I Commonwealth. Restoration Charles II secret Treaty of Dover James II Glorious Revolution Bill of Rights John Locke Second Treatise of Government "Glorious Revolution." Economic Trends: Mercantilism and European Colonies in the 17th century little ice age Dutch East India Company Seventeenth Century Culture Rembrandt van Rijn Jean Baptiste Racine Phedre Jean-Baptiste Moliere, The Bourgeois Gentilhomme Thomas Hobbes, the Leviathan Chapter 16Toward a New Heaven and a New Earth: The Scientific Revolution and the Emergence of Modern Science Background to the Scientific Revolution 'natural philosphers' Toward a New Heaven: A Revolution in Astronomy Nicholas Copernicus On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres 1543 Tycho Brahe Johannes Kepler Galileo Galilei The Starry Messenger Dialogue on the Two Chief World Systems Isaac Newton calculus Advances in Medicine Paraclesus Vesalius On the Fabric of the Human Body William Harvey On the Motion of the Heart and Blood Towards a New Earth: Descartes, Rationalism, and a New View of Mankind Rene Descartes, Discourse on Method "I think, therefore I am." Francis Bacon, The Great Insiauration (Restoration) Benedict de Spinoza, Ethics demonstrated in the Geometrical Manner Blaise Pascal, Pensees Chapter 17 The Eighteenth Century: An Age of Enlightenment The Enlig
More Less

Related notes for CLASS-UA 278

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.