EURO-UA 511 Lecture 5: Renaissance – 1450 – 1519

49 views4 pages

Document Summary

Renaissance 1450 1519 (15th and 16th centuries) and age of exploration, types of exploration: a. i. Two main powers spain and portugal a. i. 1. Looking to control key coastal cities to dominate global trade a. i. 2. b. Arabs used to control trade (in indian ocean) a. i. 2. c. Trade going on between city states (venice, florence) b. iii. 1. Southern more about rise in mediterranean trade and patrons of the arts b. iii. 1. b. Northern more about change of religious thought to secular (erasmus, more, machiavelli) b. iv. Habsburgs and french were trying to dominate italy b. iv. 1. Machiavelli wrote the prince in response to this (1513) b. v. germany - hasn"t had any big wars yet b. v. 1. England (start using the term britain after glorious revolution) tudors invited by parliament to take over kingship; did not really win it in battle during the war of the roses: after black death c. i. Rise in middle class throughout 16th century c. i. 1. c. i. 2. In middle ages, most were peasant farms or nobility c. iii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers