EURO-UA 511 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Carnegie Steel Company, Proletariat, Luddite

47 views4 pages

Document Summary

Backtrack to the enlightenment"s influence on the us. Early influences: glorious revolution/english bill of rights england stopped paying attention to the colonies, seven year"s war (britain vs. france) b. i. Britain went into debt, americans heavily taxed to pay. American revolution: colonists didn"t like taxes, declaration of independence (1776) b. i. Based on locke"s ideas (consent of the people: shay"s rebellion c. i. Rebellion crushed by militia hired by rich landowners c. iii. Led to strong government in us: the constitution d. i. British agricultural revolution: more food production less farmers needed more factory workers a. ii. Enclosure movement, wealthy landowners fenced of the commons (public land), small farmers become unemployed (see above: geography b. i. Britain was rich in coal/iron ore: government c. i. Protected patents for new inventions: economics d. i. Increased population more demand more production etc. New ideas: mercantilism: concept that government should regulate trade to maximize wealth + power by obtaining lots of gold and silver and selling more goods than you purchase a. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers