EURO-UA 511 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Price Revolution, Mercantilism, Europe 1

40 views6 pages

Document Summary

Europe in 16th century (1555 1600, phillip ii biggest sponsor of catholic inquisition a. i. Trying to expel all of the jews, muslims, protestants, etc: spain owns calvinist netherlands b. i. Netherlands are dominating trade in northern europe b. i. 1. Hate being dominated and taxed by spain fights with. Phillip ii of spain for their independence for thirty years b. i. 2. English are helping dutch: 1588 defeated spanish armada (with aid of elizabeth i) c. i. Crushing blow for the spanish: russia ivan the terrible d. i. Expanding and centralizing from kingdom of moscow to russia d. ii. When modern russia begins to take shape: europe in the 17th century, economics: mercantilism (ultimately you wanted a flow of gold and precious metals, but ones that you export) a. i. 1. a. i. 2. Leads to creation of tariffs discourages imports a. ii. Commercial revolution (1500 to 1700) new system of economics a. ii. 1. Joint stock companies created a. ii. 4. a. i. e. british east india company mandate: go to.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers