Spring 2016

Department
European and Mediterranean Studies
Course Code
EURO-UA 511
Professor
Euro History
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
The SCIENTIFC REVOLUTION
I. Science in 1500
a. Based on Aristotle, outdated, Geocentric Model
II. Reasons for Scientific Revolution
a. Renaissance spurred scientific exploration
b. Universities were giving people educations
c. Better tools built (telescope)
III. Copernican Hypothesis
a. Heliocentric Model (against Catholic and Protestant views)
IV. Post-Copernicus
a. Tycho Brahe, Johannes Kepler, Galileo (convicted of heresy by the
Church)
b. Sir Issac Newton used what was discovered before him to find laws of
motion
V. Results
a. Promoted scientific method
b. International scientific community grew
PHILOSOPHES OF THE ENLIGHTENMENT (Philosophe: Intellectuals of the
Enlightenment, a philosophical movement promoting liberty, progress, reason, and
tolerance.)
I. John Locke
a. Rejected idea of divine right, believed in natural rights and that only rulers
who respected the rights of the people deserved power
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
The SCIENTIFC REVOLUTION I. Science in 1500 a. Based on Aristotle, outdated, Geocentric Model II. Reasons for Scientific Revolution a. Renaissance spurred scientific exploration b. Universities were giving people educations c. Better tools built (telescope) III. Copernican Hypothesis a. Heliocentric Model (against Catholic and Protestant views) IV. Post-Copernicus a. Tycho Brahe, Johannes Kepler, Galileo (convicted of heresy by the Church) b. Sir Issac Newton used what was discovered before him to find laws of motion V. Results a. Promoted scientific method b. International scientific community grew PHILOSOPHES OF THE ENLIGHTENMENT (Philosophe: Intellectuals of the Enlightenment, a philosophical movement promoting liberty, progress, reason, and tolerance.) I. John Locke a. Rejected idea of divine right, believed in natural rights and that only rulers who respected the rights of the people deserved power II. Voltaire a. Did not believe in democracy or equality, preferred an enlightened despot b. Thought Africans were inferior III. Rousseau a. People were born free and inherently good b. Version of social contract: Government by general will IV. Montesquieu a. Used scientific method to study the government i. Believed in separation of powers b. Thought slavery corrupted both master + slave, however supported property rights for slave-owners ENLIGHTENED DESPOTS: A monarch who would promote Enlightened ideals I. Frederick the Great (Prussia) a. Abolished torture, gave freedom of speech + press + religious tolerance to Jews b. But kept social stratification/serfdom II. Joseph II (Austria) a. Reformers – abolished serfdom + death penalty, gave religious tolerance b. Too many reforms – was hated, many were undone after his death III. Catherine the Great (Russia) a. Made Russia a great power, the Golden Age b. Supported Enlightened ideals, patron of education c. Kept serfdom in place + serfs oppressed REVOLUTION IN ENGLAND I. Magna Carta (1215) a. Rights of Englishmen – speedy trial, trial by jury, face accuser
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit