NEURL-UA 220 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Positron Emission Tomography, Grey Matter

58 views8 pages

Document Summary

Data collections techniques based on blood flow and metabolism a. Based on the fact that cells have metabolic activity, so glucose and oxygen. So neurons who use a lot of resources, are more active. a. They have both poor spatial and temporal resolution i. Gives you an overview of activity across the whole brain, are non invasive, and studies the brain during conscious human behavior b. c. Be able to monitor the rate of decay by emitting positrons i. ii. Short vs long half life allows us to measure different human behaviors that last different amounts of time d. Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fmri) a. b. c. d. Based on the properties of nuclei of atoms (hydrogen atoms) Focus is on how they interact with magnetic fields (how they align themselves and how they relax back) Mri machine generates a massive magnetic field i. ii. Solenoid design- coil is wrapped tightly around cylindrical frame a)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers