PSYCH-UA 30 Lecture 17: personality_11.17.2014

8 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYCH-UA 30
Professor
Andersen Susan

This preview shows pages 1-2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 8 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com Personality Lecture 11/17/2014 6:24:00 PM o continue talking about depression and models of depression o diathesis stress model  diathesis times stress o cognitive vulnerability to depression and you so happen to encounter problematic life situations that are frustrating + difficult, then you are going to end up interpreting the events your experiencing in such a way that it will lead you to become depressed  diathesis of this model: pessimistic attributional style  pessimistic attributional style  what is pertinent when you are interpreting problematic, negative life events such as stressors  global attribution vs. specific attribution o 2 ndreformulation of learned helplessness theory  referred to as hopelessness model  Abramson, Metalsky, + Alloy  Diathesis x Stress model also  Cognitive vulnerability model to depression, and under the right circumstances, then that cognitive vulnerability is likely to come into play and cause depression  Particular pessimistic attributional style that was specified in first formulation has some problems  One of several vulnerability factors is attributional style  it is not the only/primary cognitive vulnerability find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com  Internal, stable, and global attribution for some kind of failure or obstacle or problem o Doesn’t matter all that much if attribution is internal o What matters is that it’s a stable and global attribution  Factors that are going to be stable across your life span (stable), and relevant across every domain that you enter (global)  these alone are strong factors to create a cognitive vulnerability to depression  Idea of uncontrollability, which is bringing us back to learned helplessness model  Bringing us back to this notion in a way that takes into account human data  Just b/c you are placed in a situation of uncontrollability does not mean you will become depressed o Only true if you get to the point of believing that the bad stuff will continue over time and apply to everything  Under that circumstance, that’s the kind of cognitive vulnerability that allows the power of uncontrollability to come to the forefront  It will have less effect if you don’t see it as likely to occur across different situations and consistently over time (stable + global)  Any cognitive predisposition which leads you ultimately to over-generalize about the present (esp. the bad present / a current bad experience) such that you come to the idea that the future is going to be filled with this bad experiences  anything that leads you to over-generalize this way is the cognitive vulnerability in terms of inducing depression find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com  Any person who experiences the death of a parent in childhood, that is agonizing and also finding a way to comprehend/cope with the irrevocability/finality/irreversibility of that  creates a vulnerability to depression o Tremendous, profound loss can create the tendency to see painful events as highly likely to re-occur in the future o Pain of loss of a parent doesn’t fully go away  Why is it called a hopelessness model of depression? o Cognitive meditational model o Interaction b/w your vulnerability factor for depression and the occurrence of stress is going to predict the onset of hopelessness o Some tendency to predict depression; but diathesis x stress interaction predicts hopelessness which then predicts depression o Does the diathesis stress interaction predict hopelessness? It will do so, and it will do so more strongly than it predicts depression o Cognitive meditational model – listen to audio o Mediator is a proximal cause o Mediator/proximal cause of depression = onset of hopelessness o Moderator (relates to mediator)  Diathesis serves as moderator variable  Moderator variable example: we’ve observed something where there’s a gender difference, impact of insult which is moderated find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com by gend
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit