ANTHROP 2200 Lecture 6: 6. Primate Classification 2

31 views3 pages

Document Summary

Broke apart through plate tectonics and continental drift. Reason for finding some species on different land masses. Broke apart between mesozoic and cenozoic, about 200 mya i. ii. iii. 3 eras - subdivided into epochs i. ii. iii. Fossilization c. a. b. c. d. e. f. Taphonomy is the study of fossilized plants/animals and environments that affect their preservations. Rare due to precise environmental needs i. ii. Rapid burial in oxygen free environment to prevent damage. Time and pressure for minerals to seep into bone and take form. Small trace amount of dna, mostly minerals from environment. Plastic distortion - ground compresses from rain and distorts fossils; must be recognized by researchers. Determining variation/different species is difficult with just fossils i. ii. i. Relative dating - rough time frame for existence, in relation to something else; much less expensive. Stratigraphic correlation - looking at soil layers a. b. Law of superposition - youngest on top, oldest on bottom.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers