Spring 2018

Department
History
Course Code
HISTORY 2720
Professor
Samuel White
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Everything was uniform and simple in the beginning, same temp and look
Lots of matter
Gravity - more powerful when stuff is closer/denser
Tiny differences in distribution of matter (1/1000000 of a degree difference in
temperature)
Complex things happen when you have perfect Goldilocks conditions:
Gravity continued to bring these tiny differences closer together, causing heat and
energy to be formed by the bumping atoms
Part 1
Universe is cooling down, suddenly heating up for first time. ~3,000 degrees atoms can
hold together. Creates plasma that raises to ~10,000,000 degrees. Nuclear fusion
causes stars to light up. Threshold 2
Stars: protons at extremely high temps. Photons work through surrounding
plasma to provide a light
Superclusters: webs and chains of clusters. At this scale, you can see the
superclusters moving farther away from each other. Galaxy doesn't hold these
together - we're expanding
Clusters: group of galaxies
Now we're filled with stars that are still being born in star nurseries. Provided us with
new structures
These stars provide us with 'campfires in Antarctica' that have goldilocks conditions
around them
Part 2
Big History Project - How were stars formed?
A: the stars!
Stars heating up cooked up the elements of the universe
Surface of sun ~5,800 degrees. Core ~15,000,000 40,000x hotter than boiling water.
Hydrogen protons heated to form helium. Carbon has 6 protons so it needs more heat.
Each element higher needs more tempertaure.
Q: Where did all the element come from?
A: In dying stars
Most of their life they are fusing hydrogen to helium. The collapse of gravity creates a
lot of pressure as they are bigger.
200,000,000 billion degrees creates carbon. This is the temperature once stars run out
of hydrogen. Then they burn through the helium. That's when it stars moving much
faster.
Q: Where does it get 3 billion degrees?
Big History Project - What did Stars give us?
Fusing carbon to neon -> oxygen -> silicon -> iron at 3,000,000 billion degrees.
At iron all the elements scatter into the universe
A: Exploding stars
Large stars filled with iron explode in supernova - all the elements are created. For a
few weeks they shine brighter than whole galaxies.
Leaves a big dust cloud of all the elements drifting away
Q: Where do the rest (after iron_ come from?
Part 2
Lesson 6
Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:58 AM
New Section 1 Page 1

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lesson 6 Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:58 AM Big History Project How were stars formed? Part 1 Everything was uniform and simple in the beginning, same temp and look Complex things happen when you have perfect Goldilocks conditions: Lots of matter Gravity more powerful when stuff is closerdenser Tiny differences in distribution of matter (11000000 of a degree difference in temperature) Gravity continued to bring these tiny differences closer together, causing heat and energy to be formed by the bumping atoms Part 2 Universe is cooling down, suddenly heating up for first time. ~3,000 degrees atoms can hold together. Creates plasma that raises to ~10,000,000 degrees. Nuclear fusion causes stars to light up. Threshold 2 Now were filled with stars that are still being born in star nurseries. Provided us with new structures Stars: protons at extremely high temps. Photons work through surrounding plasma to provide a light Superclusters: webs and chains of clusters. At this scale, you can see the superclusters moving farther away from each other. Galaxy doesnt hold these together were expanding Clusters: group of galaxies These stars provide us with campfires in Antarctica that have goldilocks conditions around them Big History Project What did Stars give us? Q: Where did all the element come from? A: the stars! Stars heating up cooked up the elements of the universe Surface of sun ~5,800 degrees. Core ~15,000,000 40,000x hotter than boiling water. Hydrogen protons heated to form helium. Carbon has 6 protons so it needs more heat. Each element higher needs more tempertaure. Q: Where does it get 3 billion degrees? A: In dying stars Most of their life they are fusing hydrogen to helium. The collapse of gravity creates a lot of pressure as they are bigger. 200,000,000 billion degrees creates carbon. This is the temperature once stars run out of hydrogen. Then they burn through the helium. Thats when it stars moving much faster. Part 2 Fusing carbon to neon > oxygen > silicon > iron at 3,000,000 billion degrees. At iron all the elements scatter into the universe Q: Where do the rest (after iron_ come from? A: Exploding stars Large stars filled with iron explode in supernova all the elements are created. For a few weeks they shine brighter than whole galaxies. Leaves a big dust cloud of all the elements drifting away
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit