Political Science
Course
POLITSC 4315
Professor
Chris Gelpi
Semester
Spring

Description
Lecture 22: The October War I. Deliberate Escalation  a. Unlike 6 days war and WWI, October war was a deliberate escalation b. Egypt escalated crisis to war knowing that Israel would fight  c. War was a failure of deterrence  i. Is it a failure of deterrence THEORY as well?  II. Simmering conflict after 1967  a. Egypt devastated by defeat in 1967, but Nasser not removed from power  i. Perhaps his calculation wasn't wrong  b. Nasser dies, replaced by Anwar Sadat shortly after war  i. Sadat doesn't settle claims from '67 ii. Restricts Egypt to "War of Attrition"  III. Preparing for a new fight  a. War of Attrition doesn't alter status quo  i. Sadat decides he needs to escalate  b. Soviets refuse to give necessary equipment (bombers, etc.)  i. Sadat expels Soviet advisors from Egypt in disgust  1. Threatens Soviet influence in Middle East  IV. Limited Egyptian goals a. Soviets fear exclusion from Middle East more than they fear war  i. Therefore give Sadat the equipment he wants b. Sadat prepares for limited invasion of Sinai after receiving the equipment  i. Plan to seize Suez  ii. Limited aims strategy  iii. Small victory  V. Surprise attack  a. Sadat plans for surprise attack across Suez  b. Israel ignores many warnings of impending attack  i. Think Egypt will fight for all territory back  ii. Israelis confident they can win an all­out war c. Egypt attacks on October 6, 1973, w/ near total surprise  i. Initially Egyptians very successful in seizing Suez  VI. Turning the tide a. After seizing Suez and inflicting heavy losses on Israel, things go bad for Egypt  b. Israel doesn't seek negotiated settlement  i. US strongly backs Israel w/ airlift  c. Israel breaks down defenses and threatens to retake Suez  i. They surround Egyptian 3rd army  VII.Egypt vulnerable  a. America and Soviets collaborate to negotiate a cease fire  i. Egypt out in cold b. Cease fire doesn't hold and Israel threatens to take Cairo  c. Soviets threaten to intervene, but America is the one who restrains Israel  i. America eventually replaces Soviet Union as Egyptian benefactor  VIII. Why the deterrence failure  a. Egypt launches surprise attack, but is soundly 
More Less

Related notes for POLITSC 4315

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit