PSYCH 3312 Lecture Notes - Lecture 26: Rationality, Multiple Working, Urban Meyer

48 views4 pages

Document Summary

Sagan - the fine art of baloney detection. 6) traditional analysis of knowledge philosophy & rationality. (cid:498)w/in cognitive science, thinking is often used to refer to reasoning, decision making, problem solving, and creativity(cid:499) (cid:498)rational thinking is thinking that is maximally effective in enabling us to achieve our goals(cid:499) (cid:498)the term rational thinking can also be applied to thinking that conforms to the rules of logic or to mathematical or statistical laws(cid:499) (cid:498)philosophy strives to be of universal appeal to any rational intellect, human or otherwise(cid:499) Subject knows that (cid:494)proposition(cid:495) (cid:523)p(cid:524) is true )f. True p = the world is the way p says it is. I know that my sister is expecting a baby girl bc: S is justified in believing that p. I know she is 5 months pregnant. She always wanted a baby girl (irrelevant) I dreamt about her last night as she held a pink blanket (irrelevant) Justification = empirical data, testimony (weakest form), deduction.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers