SPHHRNG 3320 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Canadian Raising, South Island, General American

24 views5 pages

Document Summary

Number of speakers s n o i l l i. Variations in speech or language: vocabulary syntax phonology. Related to geographic area, social class, ethnic group. No dialectal variety of english is a disorder or pathological form of speech or language (asha, 1983). Each social dialect is adequate as a variety of english. Each serves a communication function as well as a social solidarity function. It maintains the communication network and the social construct of the community of speakers who use it. Furthermore, each is a symbolic representation of the historical, social, and cultural background of the speakers . Canadian raising: /a ai/ become / i/ The three major dialect areas of the united states. A form of english that is relatively devoid of regional characteristics. The english of dictionaries, grammar books, and most printed matter. Provide accent modification as an elective service. Some speakers may have problems with intelligibility because of foreign accent/dialect.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers