• Previously everything we have read was written while slavery was commonplace and seen as a
regular part of american life
o Keep this in mind when considering any of the ideals that are presented
o Slavery is an immediate contradiction to those ideals
o Thomas Jefferson was an owner of human beings while he wrote "life, liberty, and the
pursuit of happiness"
• 1845 – Douglass's narrative
• 1770's – declaration of independence and other foundation documents
• Missouri compromise – power that the 1820s on that the power between the non slave and
slave states needs to be equal; missouri for maine
Where does it embrace/articulate the American Ideals?
• Though he was not always allowed to have them, he clearly believes that he is entitled
• A slave who believes s/he deserves more is the ultimate example of self reliance
• Why was it hard for people to connect slaves to revolutionary heroes
o Suspicious bc they typically were uneducated by legal mandate in most locations
o Requires the demonizing of the nation's own laws and practices