GEOL 1010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Geothermal Gradient, Aphanite, Ionic Bonding

42 views4 pages

Document Summary

Orderly internal structure of a solid is a result of chemical bond e. i. 2. e. i. 3. Atoms in a solid have very little mobility, they vibrate. An increase in heat = an increased distance between atom (solid expands) e. i. 4. Magma forms when the solid rock comprising the mantle and the crust of the earth melts e. i. 4. a. 3 factors e. i. 4. a. i. heat (1000 degrees celsius) e. i. 4. a. i. 1. temperature increases with depth e. i. 4. a. i. 2. all coal mines and oil wells show this trend (40,000ft) e. i. 4. a. i. 3. the rate of increase in temp is called geothermal gradient e. i. 4. a. i. 3. a. Crystals grow until others confine them: classify igneous rocks f. i. Pumice f. i. 3. e. pyroclastic (broken pieces of cement together) f. i. 3. e. i. piece of rock blasted out of a volcano and fused together f. i. 3. e. ii. comes from the greek word break f. i. 3. e. iii. f. i. 3. e. iv. small fragments = tuff large angular pieces = breccia. How many types of magma are needed to produce such a wide variety of rock compositions? a. iii. 4. a. i. 1.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers