Legal Studies in Business
Course
LSB 3213
Professor
William Michael Schuster
Semester
Spring

Description
Tort Law Cont'd A. Assault & Battery in Employment a. Was the tortfeasor's conduct within the scope of employment? b. Key: look at essential job functions B. False Imprisonment a. Act: confining or restraining the plaintiff to a bounded area without justification or consent b. Intent: tortfeasor intended to confine or restrain the plaintiff to a bounded area c. Damages: special, general and punitive available i. Example: locking a person in a room against their will ii. Must be able to prove the damages iii. No requirement; any standard citizen can do it 1. On the exam C. Parvi v. City of Kingston (Ct. App. NY, 1977) a. Rule: to be falsely imprisoned, you must be aware of your confinement b. Held: Parvi didn't know he was confined, so he wasn't falsely imprisoned D. Shopkeeper's Privilege a. Defense to false imprisonment; the business can't be sued unless on three terms i. The business had reasonable belief that the person committed something wrong ii. Detention has to be made in a reasonable manner iii. Detention has to be in reasonable time E. Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress a. Act: extreme and outrageous conduct resulting in severe emotional distress b. Intent: to cause severe emotional distress by intentional extreme and outrageous conduct c. Causation: tortfeasor's extreme and outrageous conduct was a substantial factor in causing act bringing about severe emotional distress d. Damages: special, general, and punitive available F. Need to prove the intent in all torts G. Taylor v. Vallelunga (CA. App. 1959) a. Ruling H. Trespass to Land a. Act: physical invasion of plaintiff's property without permission b. Intent: tortfeasor intended to physically invade property c. Damages: special, general and punitive available I. Dougherty v. Stepp (NC 1835) a. Rule: unauthorized entrance onto someone else's property is a trespass to land b. Damages: the plaintiff must still establish damages c. Held: this was a trespass (though damages are unlikely) J. Herrin v. Sutherland (Montana 1925) a. Rule: outside of high-altitude planes and such, the air immediately above the ground can be trespassed on K. Trespass to Chattel (personal property) Tort Law Cont'd a. Act: interference with the plaintiff's lawful right of possession/enjoyment of property b. Intent: tortfeasor intents interference with the plaintiff's lawful right of possession of property c. Damages: must prove actual damages L. Wrongful Interference w Contractual Relationship a. Elements; i. Valid Contract ii. Third party knows about con
More Less

Related notes for LSB 3213

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit