I. THE INTRODUCTION
A. What is Media Effects?
1. Media effects are how the media out in the world today affects people and their daily
B. A Basic Model
1. We will learn specific examples of ideas and how they fit with the world.
2. Media Effects measure the effects on a stimulus and a response.
C. The Stimulus
1. A stimulus is an amount of something in the world. The stimulus might be a person’s
2. The stimulus is all the characteristics of a problem we are talking about.
3. The stimulus deals with the amount of social info we have. If someone had many friends
on Facebook, then this person is social in their communities. If the person doesn’t like
Facebook and has few friends, then this person will no be outgoing in his/her
4. Any form of social media will contribute to some outcome.
A. Example 1.
1. Example 1 was a test on HALO and the aggression level.
2. The stimuli that were tested were; single player combat, cooperative combat, and
3. The test was to see what type of stimulus had an outcome of greater aggressive.
4. The outcome showed that playing in a competitive setting had a greater aggressive
outcome in the people.
5. Keep in mind that the people that were being tested were all sorts; males, females,
advanced players, new players etc.
B. Example 2.
1. Example 2 was tested on MADDEN and the enjoyment level.
2. The stimuli that were tested were; single player, cooperative play, and competitive play.
3. The test was to see what type of stimulus had an outcome of more enjoyment.
4. The outcome showed that playing in a competitive setting had a greater level.
5. With this test, people were not paired up with friends, just other people. The unknown
people were told