class 15 - The Graduate post Film

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Pennsylvania State University
COMM 150
Matthew Jordan

Comm 150 10/25/12 Class 15 The Graduate: Post Film Plastics, Suburbia and Coming of Age What now? – Original screenplay began with Benjamin having an anxiety dream where he's giving a graduation speech and his notes blow off the podium I want it to be different – “Hello darkness my old friend.” - sound of silence – Song is used as a liet motif several times in the film – Ben feels hes entering a world that isn't his choice – Visual symbol of water (fish tank and pool) One word: Plastics – His father is concerned with him disappointing his friends – People talking without speaking – Ben is in search of meaning – His father negates his desire to be different – Fake plastic dreams – Hand held camera that follows him closely in an extreme close up – It conveys Ben's restlessness – Kinetic movement of camera give the audience an anxious feeling Women – Too much make up – Too much alcohol – Mrs. Robinson, Ben's mother and other women have the same hair style – Mrs. Robinson is alienated by this meaningless existence Men – Drink first, talk later attitude – They all want leisure time – Don't care about growing up – Afuture of “plastics” (plastic dreams) is what Ben is afraid of “I'm sort of disturbed about things” – Highlighting the internal psychological state – Returns to the water theme Symbols of the house – Has a castle like facade with shows overprotection Inside the house – Most scenes take place at the huge bar – Bar is decorated but not very homy (kind of cold) – Dominance of home in suburbs Mrs. Robinson – Alcoholic – Life based on leisure – It creates boredom – She is aggressive and predatory – The room looks like a jungle – She is weari
More Less

Related notes for COMM 150

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.